Family Settlement Visa


You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently.

You don’t need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa to visit your family for up to 6 months, but you should check if you need a Family Visitor visa.

Your family member can:

  • be a British citizen
  • have settled in the UK
  • have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply to:

  • join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)
  • join your parent
  • come to look after your child
  • come to be looked after by family


You may need to apply in a different way if:

  • your partner is from the EEA
  • you’re inside the UK
  • you want to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

How long it takes

You should get a decision on your visa within 12 weeks.
Check the guide to processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.


Joining your partner or parent£885Coming to look after your child£885Adult who needs to be looked after by a relative£1,982

What you can and can’t do with your visa

You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to:

  • work (you can’t work if you’ve got a visa to get married or to become civil partners)
  • study

You can’t get public funds for yourself and any dependants.

Extend your stay

You may be able to apply to extend your visa or settle in the UK permanently.


To apply for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa, you must be from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.Your partner or family member must have one of the following:

  • British citizenship
  • settlement in the UK
  • asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

You must also prove that:

  • you’re 18 or over, unless you’re applying as a child
  • your relationship to your family member is genuine and recognised in the UK, eg your marriage is legal in your country
  • you intend to continue living with your family member or partner in the UK after you apply (unless you’re a parent with access rights)
  • either you or your family member can support and accommodate you and any dependent children while in the UK, or you meet the financial requirement
  • you and your family will have an adequate place to live in the UK
  • you have a good knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over – unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative

When your application can be refused

Your application might be refused if, for example, you’ve:

  • got a criminal record in the UK or in another country
  • provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office
  • broken UK immigration law

Joining your partner

You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship.
You must be one of the following:

  • married or civil partners
  • living together in a relationship for 2 years
  • engaged to be married or to become civil partners
  • You must prove that any previous relationships you or your partner had are permanently broken down.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child

You won’t need to prove you have this money if you or your partner get certain disability benefits or Carer’s Allowance, but you’ll need to adequately accommodate and support yourselves and any dependants.

You’re engaged

You must prove that you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK.

You won’t be able to work during your engagement.

* content copyright Open Government License v2.0 (UK)

Show Buttons
Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Linkdin
Hide Buttons