Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa (UK)


You can apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa if all of the following apply:
you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach recognised by your sport’s governing body as internationally established at the highest level
your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
you meet the other eligibility requirements

How long will it take?

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.


How much you pay for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.

You or a dependant apply – £514
You or a dependant extend or switch by post – £601
You or a dependant extend or swtich in person (premium) – £1,001
If you’re a national of Turkey or Macedonia and you apply – £459
If you’re a national of Turkey or Macedonia and you apply by post – £546
If you’re a national of Turkey or Macedonia and you appy in person (premium) – £946

How long can you stay?

You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa for up to 3 years.

You can apply to extend this visa for up to another 3 years to a maximum stay of 6 years.

What you can and can’t do

You can:
work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
do a second job
play for your national team in the UK
do voluntary work
study as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
travel abroad and return to the UK
bring family members with you

You can’t:
get public funds
start or run a business
apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor

You’ll need to make a new application to the Home Office if you want to do a second job that’s not in the same sector as your main job.

You must:
have a certificate of sponsorship reference number from your sponsor
meet the English requirement

You must also have £945 – this is to prove you can support yourself and you must have had this in your bank account for 90 days before you apply, unless you’re exempt.
Saving exemptions

You won’t need to provide proof of funds if you’re in the UK and you have a visa in one of the following categories:
Tier 2
work permit holder
Jewish agency employee
ground staff for an overseas airline
minister of religion, missionary, or member of a religious order
representative an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation
You won’t need £945 in savings if your fully approved (‘A-rated’) sponsor has stated on your certificate of sponsorship that they’ll certify your maintenance and that you won’t claim benefits during your stay.
Certificate of sponsorship

A certificate of sponsorship is a reference number which holds information about the job and your personal details. It’s not an actual certificate or paper document.

Your sponsor will give you your certificate of sponsorship reference number.

They must also give you some other information to help you to apply, eg how much you’ll be paid.

You’ll need to add your certificate of sponsorship reference number to your application form – you can only use it once.
You must apply for your visa within 3 months of receiving your certificate of sponsorship.
* content copyright Open Government License v2.0 (UK)

Leave a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Show Buttons
Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Linkdin
Hide Buttons