Turkish Worker visa

1. Overview

You can apply for permission to stay in the UK as a Turkish Worker if you’re a Turkish national and have legally worked in the UK for at least 1 year as:

  • the spouse of a British or settled person without any restrictions on working in the UK
  • a holder of a work permit allowing you to work in the UK
  • a student allowed to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods

How long you can stay

The length of time you can stay and what job you can do depends on how long you’ve legally worked in the UK.

How long you’ve worked in the UK Length of permission to be in the UK What you can do
1 to 3 years Up to 2 years Continue to work for the same employer
3 to 4 years Up to 1 year Change employer, but in the same occupation
4+ years Up to 3 years Work in any occupation for any employer

You must apply from within the UK before your current permission to stay expires.


There’s no fee for this application.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • include your family (‘dependants’) on this extension if they’re already in the UK, eg your partner and children switch into this category from another visa
  • switch into this category from another visa

You can’t:

  • apply to settle in the UK permanently

2. Eligibility

To apply you must:

  • be a Turkish national
  • have legally worked in the UK for at least 1 year

You must have worked for the same employer for the period you’re quoting in your application.

Your application may be refused if you’ve broken any immigration laws in the UK. Instead, you may need to apply for a working visa.

3. Documents you must provide

You must provide:

  • a current passport showing you have permission to work in the UK, or other valid travel identification
  • 2 passport-sized colour photographs
  • proof of all your employment during your current stay in the UK, including original payslips and bank statements for the whole period you’ve worked here

You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

If you’re an au pair, you can send a letter from your host family if you don’t have payslips and bank statements.

You may need to provide a police certificate for yourself and your family.

Your job

You should also provide evidence (eg letters from current or prospective employers, open job application letters) that shows you’re planning to:

  • work for the same employer, if you’ve been legally employed for between 1 and 3 years
  • carry on doing the same type of job, if you’ve been legally employed for 3 years
  • work for any employer doing any job, if you’ve been legally employed for 4 years or longer

4. Apply

Apply in the UK

Download the application form and post it to the address on the front of the form.

Biometric information

As part of your application, you’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a Post Office.

Find a Post Office that takes biometric information (called ‘biometric enrolment’) – choose ‘Home Office Biometric Enrolment’ from the drop down list.

Leave a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Show Buttons
Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Linkdin
Hide Buttons